My Plans

Discission about the future of Aardvark Topsites PHP.

My Plans

Postby Jeremy » 2004-07-31 07:03 pm

5.0 needs to address several outstanding issues with the current version of Aardvark Topsites PHP (ATS).

1. OOP, Structural Changes
The coding style will be changed to OOP. That will naturally facilitate a cleansing of old, bad decisions I made while creating version 4.0 when I did not know much about PHP and MySQL. For example, settings should be stored in the database. Auto-increment should be used. Things like that. The end result should be clean, beautiful, functional code.

2. User Interface and Documentation
Some settings in the admin can be removed, and others should be added. I will need feedback from others on this issue. One prime example: I think that unique/total hits is confusing a lot of people. 99% of the users want unique anyway. So let's just get rid of total and only count unique.

Documentation should also be improved and integrated into the script. Help links at various places instead of having a wholly separate manual.

Basically, I want to do something like the GNOME project has done. ATS has nothing to do with GNOME, but I love the way they have simplified their product and created a great UI.

3. Members
The script should move towards members, who can have multiple sites listed or just one, instead of just id numbers. Usernames are easier to remember than numbers, and this will allow people running multiple sites to easily manage all their sites. Also, it will facilitate easier integration with CMS's. Speaking of integration...

4. Integration
The script needs to integrate with phpnuke, postnuke, phpbb, invision board, vbulletin, etc. The only feasible way to do this is to maintain specialized ports to these systems. The base script will be able to integrate the member databases, but ports will be needed to hook into the skin and the database of whatever ATS is integrating with. The best way to go about getting these ports would be...

5. Community Involvement
The skins people have made are great, much better than I could do. That situation is fine, but it would be nice to get some people more involved with the coding. Ragnarok has made some great mods and has expressed interest in helping develop 5.0, and that is great. But more people are always nice. As 5.0 is in the planning stage now, if you are a PHP coder and want to help develop it, now is the time to get involved and start throwing ideas around. Besides core coders, it would be best if someone familiar with a particular CMS would maintain the port to that CMS.

The current version is already packed with features. 5.0 needs to simplify and integrate.

This forum can be used for people to throw around ideas. As I've said, 5.0 is just in planning now. Hardly any code has been written. If you have a great idea, now is the time to be heard.
Last edited by Jeremy on 2004-08-13 04:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
Supreme Diety

Postby coolnico » 2004-08-01 07:06 am

Seeming as it sounds like your starting from scratch...
Could get that easy back up thing, that I wanted :D

I also think a great thing would be takin the skin thing a step futher and allowing individuals to decide which one to use, pretty much like invision or phpbb. Using cookies or something like that, or maybe just sessions.

Bah, i cant really think of anything esle now, but I will prolly have lots more ideas.

I would offer to help with coding, but my knowledge is very limited. But I'm sure that maybe there is something html that i can help with as i basicly know that like the back of my hand.

OOh yes, while lookin at the emoticons writing the message. Maybe we could have emots as the rating thing instead of blocks, i know i could easly change this in a skin, but maybe a much wider range of rating as a rate of 4,5,3,2,5,2,5,2,4,3,2,5. Or wateva im pretty sure doesnt make a whole number, maybe it does.

Maybe a scale of 1-10 or percentage.

And also force people to add a comment(if you have that) where rating.
coolnico
Advanced Member

Another Idea

Postby coolnico » 2004-08-01 07:28 am

As it gets very annoying when members buttons images are broken, it makes it look so ugly. Could we not have something, so if their images are broken, it displays a default image? That way there is never any broken images, and its all nice and pretty :D
coolnico
Advanced Member

Postby Matt » 2004-08-01 11:50 am

Thinking about the Unique and Total, perhaps you could have a mode system so the owner of the topsites could switch between Unique Hits or Totaly Hits and then as a seperate option have View, In and Out, I think that is what is confusing people.

Starting from scratch is pitty much the best thing to do.

That would be a good idea, but you would have to have use cookies to remember what skin they want, sessions expire as soon as you leave the site.

To be perfectly hounest I think that rading and comments should be kept seperate, however it could be made an option to fouce people to add a comment when they rate that site.

Making a whole number in PHP isn't a problem, you just use the round founction.

That could be interesting, you could also have an option to have words like Excelent, Good, Average, Bad and Discraceful as part of that.

Checking for images would drasticly slow down your code, I think something like that would be better suted to a mod
Matt
Advanced Member

Postby Tonycoolmac » 2004-08-01 02:10 pm

i think that what should change in ats is the features it has,a better admin panel with more features would be great,so far i love the script,but it misses some features (like for ex. winners each month).So far the script is great in my opinion.
Tonycoolmac
Advanced Member

I agree

Postby coolnico » 2004-08-01 02:35 pm

I agree that the script is allready great, quite easy to use.
coolnico
Advanced Member

Postby Matt » 2004-08-01 05:49 pm

Well 5 should be even easier to use
Matt
Advanced Member

Postby psyblast » 2004-08-02 10:57 pm

I agree that the script is great sofar, but too bland. I can help with Ideas for 5.0 since I always seem to come up with good ideas.
psyblast
Advanced Member

Vague

Postby coolnico » 2004-08-03 03:25 pm

Maybe to cut back on broken links but not have to check whether it exists. Maybe the admin could have the option of allowing members to upload their buttons instead?
coolnico
Advanced Member

Postby Matt » 2004-08-03 04:40 pm

That would be a good idea
Matt
Advanced Member

Postby Tonycoolmac » 2004-08-03 04:46 pm

i would love that the script automatically counts the top 3 sites of the toplist,something like the winners of the month,these would be on a special page of the topsites and be awarded,but bah! that is just an example
Tonycoolmac
Advanced Member

Postby psyblast » 2004-08-03 08:12 pm

the uploads button idea is a MUST, I'm sick of seeing broken images when the members sites' are down :( soooooo annoying.
psyblast
Advanced Member

Postby CT » 2004-08-04 10:09 am

I think in the next version the default URL length should be increased a little, to 80-85 perhaps. Some member URLs are long, especially when you add other topsites as members to your list.
Example -
http://www.freephotoshoptemplates.com/c ... myusername
CT

Glad Someone agrees

Postby coolnico » 2004-08-04 02:43 pm

Glad you agree psy :D
Btw my mum bawt me a manual for php 2day. PHP5 for dummies infact. I've read the 1st few chapters, and like the way its set out, but doesnt provide answers to all my questions, but I don't know what a good manual is.
But hopefully if I get my act to together I will be able to help ya with 5.0 :D
coolnico
Advanced Member

Postby Jeremy » 2004-08-04 04:12 pm

allowing users to upload buttons really doesn't solve anything. most people won't bother because it's faster to just type in a url. so you still end up with the same problem, but you end up using extra webspace to host people's banners.
Jeremy
Supreme Diety

Next

Return to Development