reviews section

Discission about the future of Aardvark Topsites PHP.

reviews section

Postby Jeremy » 2007-03-31 02:53 pm

does anyone actually use this for anything other than harassing other sites and writing reviews for their own sites? do you think it would be less trouble just to completely remove the reviews feature? just a thought.
Jeremy
Supreme Diety

Postby boardhopper » 2007-04-01 11:18 pm

I have no need for it.
boardhopper
Advanced Member

Postby Omar » 2007-04-02 06:35 pm

In the past, back when you had the cgi topsites, I thought it was pretty cool! Now, it's no longer needed, considering all the ridiculous comments made by jealous webmasters and spammers.
Omar
Advanced Member

Postby Koby » 2007-04-04 12:23 am

Yes people just abuse it, so either you have to constant monitor it, or remove it. Most of the lists I had before I had to remove due to resource abuse, I'd removed the feature.

It would be useful if people would use it right or there was more features to it. Such as only a registered member of the topsite could review then it records their username to the review page. If they are just screwing with others then you can ban them?
Come visit Kametsu Forums, an anime and gaming forum with anime downloads, amv's, an arcade, triple triad, rpg mod, and much much more!
Koby
Advanced Member

Postby OS-Mark » 2007-04-17 05:09 pm

I can see why abuse would be an issue, however I think the review feature is very important as it provides some unique content to the stats pages. Perhaps just an option to allow the topsite admin to disable if they choose.
CSS / HTML / Aardvark Stuff
VisioList - A Paid Fork Of The Worlds Best Topsite: Aardvark Topsites
Why VisioList? Fast, timely support. Constant updates and improvements, modification plugins for smooth upgrades and more!
OS-Mark
Advanced Member

Postby Koby » 2007-04-18 12:40 am

Thats a good idea OS-Mark.. I still use this feature on my topsite list (now that its back in working order).

However I still think we should have more features for the review system. Such as only registered users can review, or atleast require a username and email address when posting a review so that we can see who is doing the reviews and ban those who abuse it.
Come visit Kametsu Forums, an anime and gaming forum with anime downloads, amv's, an arcade, triple triad, rpg mod, and much much more!
Koby
Advanced Member

Postby OS-Mark » 2007-04-18 03:29 pm

I think also adding that spiffy new captcha to the review form would be a good idea.
CSS / HTML / Aardvark Stuff
VisioList - A Paid Fork Of The Worlds Best Topsite: Aardvark Topsites
Why VisioList? Fast, timely support. Constant updates and improvements, modification plugins for smooth upgrades and more!
OS-Mark
Advanced Member

Postby Koby » 2007-04-19 04:08 am

I haven't had any problem with bots in the reviews.
It's the other members being mean, thinking the ratings change the rank of the site or w/e so they belittle each other. However I posted rules on my topsite saying I enforce them, etc.. and that any one abusing the rules will be terminated. And on the join page I have it say you must abide by our terms of service and with a link to it.

So people pretty much quit abusing it. Now the review system is rarely used at all! O.o Gosh.
Koby
Advanced Member

Postby Zidane007nl » 2007-04-19 07:58 pm

I'll say remove it or improve it with more options.
It gets abused by a lot of people. Some rating/reviewing the site every day bad or good.

At my topsites a review is required but people just go spamming. I'm planning to remove it when I'm finished with the new skin.
Zidane007nl
Advanced Member

Postby Koby » 2007-04-19 11:09 pm

I saw that Zidane007nl, but I was wondering how you made that. Perhaps an if that says if blank die?

That'd be something to think about adding to the review script in 5.2

To where you must post a review to go along with the rating.
Koby
Advanced Member

Postby rshaven » 2007-05-13 08:26 am

You know what would be cool is if the reviews could get ratings like in IMDB so that people could give a thumbs up or thumbs down to a review, and the more popular reviews could be bumped to the top. Plus it would break up the sequence of reviews so people can't have flaming wars with each other.

As Mark said CAPTCHA would be great, and potentially a censor option - though I'm sure people would find a way around it. So maybe an alternative could be a warning page that says that reviews containing "certain" things will be deleted or not approved.
rshaven
Advanced Member

Re: reviews section

Postby newbietoplist » 2009-09-22 05:45 pm

So how do we remove the reviews option? I dont want it shown on my toplist at all, I just want a list of URLs or site names, with nothing else
newbietoplist

Postby Basti » 2009-09-22 06:21 pm

Look in stats.html table_top_row and table_row and delete all what has the word review. that simple
Basti
Advanced Member

Postby Gamecock » 2009-09-29 05:16 am

I, for one, do NOT allow any negative reviews in ANY of my topsite lists. That causes problems!

It's kinda like your Mama said: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. LOL

That being said, I wish those who try putting links and code into the reviews would realize they are just wasting time as they'll never get online. You can't set reviews to be auto-approved or you are asking for future problem(s).
Gamecock
Advanced Member

Postby THRiLLCEEKAH » 2009-12-14 08:45 pm

I would like this option if it was more like on blogsystems and easy adding it to other pages by with shortcodes if it then would be seperate from voting system and incude e.a gravatars then i think its very usefull but if its worth so much work i dunno :?:
AnimeFreakz << JOiN>> The Best Anime and Manga Toplist

THRiLLCEEKAH

Return to Development