Better Stats Log

Can't get it installed? Not sure how a feature works? Then post here.

Postby Matt » 2004-01-23 09:01 pm

You may or may not have notived that not all the hits that your site gets are counted on your topsites. I have worked out that for ever hit Ardvark Topsites PHP counts there are least 2 or 3 others that aren't. So I have been thinking about why this would happen and I think I have found a way to log more.

You may or may not know that computer save a copy of every web page you visit into what is called a cache, this is so that you don't have to download the page every time you visit it. This means that the browser doesn't download the topsite button every time.

So to stop the computer from putting the button into the cache all you need to do is the following:

open button.php and find
Code: Select all
header("Location: ".$location);

and replace it with
Code: Select all
// HTTP/1.1
header("Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate");
header("Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0", false);
// HTTP/1.0
header("Pragma: no-cache");
header("Location: ".$location);

this should make most browsers are least download the button every time because it isn't in the cache. This will also increase your topsites bandwidth usage so if you are already running out of bandwidth with your topsites you might want to forget about this modification.
Matt
Advanced Member

Postby Jeremy » 2004-01-23 09:55 pm

have you done any tests to see how that changes stuff?
Jeremy
Supreme Diety

Postby Matt » 2004-01-24 09:31 am

it deoesn't work like that if one person goes to many sites then they will be counted as a unique hit for every site they went to not just the first

I am in the middle of testing it, it looks good so far
Matt
Advanced Member

Return to Support