Aardvark Topsites PHP 5.2.0 Beta Released

The latest news can be found here.

Postby PPNSteve » 2007-05-17 11:25 am

Awesome Jeremy.. we'll be testing this version shortly (happy with our current, highly modified ver)

keep up the good work!

BTW, thanks Mark for the good stuff being used in the new ver as well!
PPNSteve
Advanced Member

Postby IceDreams » 2007-05-17 01:25 pm

how i do the upgrade from 5.1.2 to 5.2.0 ?
IceDreams Style
IceDreams

Postby TaiyoYuden » 2007-05-17 02:25 pm

Is there more than one question other than 2 + 2 =?
TaiyoYuden

Postby Zidane007nl » 2007-05-17 06:48 pm

IceDreams wrote:how i do the upgrade from 5.1.2 to 5.2.0 ?

You can't upgrade, there's no upgrade file included in the beta. It will be in the final version.

TaiyoYuden wrote:Is there more than one question other than 2 + 2 =?

You can change the question to something else in the admin cp.
Zidane007nl
Advanced Member

Postby Jeremy » 2007-05-17 08:36 pm

my current plan is to release an RC soon (maybe tomorrow) that will include the upgraders and a couple bug fixes that have been found in the beta. so if anyone finds anymore bugs, now would be a good time to tell me about it :)
Jeremy
Supreme Diety

Postby deny » 2007-05-19 05:09 am

I hope that you gonna to give to us upgrading option similair to what phpBB did. Find - replace ; Find - Add Below; Find - Add Before.
Button.php is high resource files but without button.php works just fine and using link with anchor instead of button is better for SERP.
deny
Advanced Member

Postby Jeremy » 2007-05-19 05:29 pm

deny: just for you, here is a diff from 5.1.2 to 5.2.0 rc1. http://www.aardvarktopsitesphp.com/diffs/

in theory, you should just have to do:
patch <512_to_520rc1.diff
and it should work. but there are always some caveats. i think it would be unweildy to do by hand.
Jeremy
Supreme Diety

Postby deny » 2007-05-19 06:49 pm

Jeremy Scheff wrote:deny: just for you, here is a diff from 5.1.2 to 5.2.0 rc1. http://www.aardvarktopsitesphp.com/diffs/

Thanks for your effort but it is unclear what has been added, removed and what not. I see only complete source code for certain files.

Jeremy Scheff wrote:in theory, you should just have to do:
patch <512_to_520rc1.diff
and it should work. but there are always some caveats. i think it would be unweildy to do by hand.

Some of us have play a lot with codes and with design.Upgrading with replacing all files is a less popular option. And wonder why would be unwieldy to do it by hand.If for example phpBB provide all sources for all files to do it by hand do no see any reason why is it unwieldy for aardvark!?
I can understand that you coded alone and that it take a lot works for all kind of coding, upgrading etc... but making in some way code upgrading friendly will be much more appreciated.
deny
Advanced Member

Postby Jeremy » 2007-05-19 08:17 pm

phpbb updates have been very small. updates from, say 2.0.12 to 2.0.13 is usually just a couple lines. this is similar to the update here from 5.1.1 to 5.1.2. however, moving up to 5.2.0 indicates a more significant change. this is more similar to phpbb's impending version 3.0 (which was originally called 2.2.0). i really doubt they will provide a diff to go from versoin 2 to version 3. too many changes. while this change is not as significant as phpbb's, it is still unweildy.

i think that diff is getting confused by some unix and windows newline changes, which is why that diff includes some entire files. i'm not sure what the best way to fix that would be. blame microsoft for having weird newlines? sorry i can't be more helpful.

for small upgrades (and maybe for large upgrades in the future now that the newline issue has been resolved), it is easy to generate diffs. you can do it yourself here. for example, you can compare revisions 138 and 141 and see what changed between the beta and rc1. even that looks rather nasty.
Jeremy
Supreme Diety

Re: Aardvark Topsites PHP 5.2.0 Beta Released

Postby Gamecock » 2007-05-20 03:59 am

Congrats on you getting the Beta and RC1 out the door!

Jeremy Scheff wrote:
Missing </option> tags were added so that all pages should validate as XHTML 1.0 Transitional

This deserves Special Kudos! I cannot tell you how HAPPY it made me to see my lists to validate at W3C. :D

Jeremy Scheff wrote:Overall stats displayed on the main page

Thanks for adding this feature in! It IS appreciated. To be honest, I was hoping for the full stats like we see in admin as a whole new page, but perhaps that was just too hard to do. Some is sure better than none!

OTOH, now that you've got all that other stuff done, maybe there's time to expand this to a full page now? :wink:

With no XHTML Validation issue left for me to beg for fixes anymore, I may have nothing else left to whine about now! LOL

Did you try modifying unofficial Total Stats mod any?

I honestly feel a Total Stats page is the only thing left for ATS to reach near perfection at this time. Of course, at first I just hoped there was a way the unofficial mod could validate and I would have been content.

As I see it showing in 5.2 Beta and RC1, comparing #s between TPVs and In/Out is just such a HUGE contrast! This opens us up for skeptics to say the high TPV is meaningless and bottom line (In/Out) is by far the most important. With the full set of stats, there's so much extra data it will obfuscate that difference!

I know my request was a late one, but those extra #s very easily make it TWICE as impressive to everybody.

My Carolina list is just about to hit 3 Million TPVs! (Now at 2.97M and going up both quickly and steadily.)

When I show ALL numbers to others I always hear "WOW". I anticipate this subset of stats will bring a less enthusiastic response. I'm trying to be honest here!

This month marks SEVEN years that I've been running a topsite list and I've seen a lot go down in that time. (Can ANYBODY say they've been doing it as long as me?)

IMNSHO, a Total Stats Page is what will earn Awards!

I realize there were other things more important (such as insulation from the spammers)) on that long list of things to do. But, I want to see your program get the recognition that it truly deserves (plus win awards!).

In any event, congratulations again for this upgrade!
Gamecock
Advanced Member

Postby Jeremy » 2007-05-20 04:08 am

i haven't really looked at the total stats mod yet. can you give me a link? are you suggesting that there should be a separate page for total stats? that's not a bad idea.

back before os-mark took over itopsites, its lists were getting over 2 million pageviews every day.
Jeremy
Supreme Diety

An OFFICIAL Total Stats Page can be the Crowning Achievement

Postby Gamecock » 2007-05-20 07:06 am

Jeremy Scheff wrote:i haven't really looked at the total stats mod yet.

OOOooo.... Your response sounds VERY Encouraging! :D

Jeremy Scheff wrote:can you give me a link?

Yes Sir!

http://www.osempire.com/community/showthread.php?t=6711

Funk 19, who created it, and many others are hoping you could take what he did and finish it off right!

Jeremy Scheff wrote:are you suggesting that there should be a separate page for total stats?

YES! That way it could even be optional to show the stats or not, as opposed to being forced to. I think that the smaller stats square in beta/RC1 might also be hard for some (myself included) to design around. Like, what and how to fill in the 2 gaps beside it?

Funk 19 just took data you already have being shown in the admin section and made it so all can see that.
As you can see from reaction in that thread, ALL who tried it simply LOVED to be able to show our #s off!

Really, getting that section of code to validate is the only challenge left. But, if you've already got everything to be valid, the issues left can't be THAT hard! As you'll see from link above, I did tests on it and tried my best to spell out what it lacks now.

Jeremy Scheff wrote:that's not a bad idea.

No kidding! That's what I thought you were going to do - finish off a great idea that's already started!

Here's a link to the thread about it in THIS forum:

http://www.aardvarktopsitesphp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6031&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Jeremy Scheff wrote:back before os-mark took over itopsites, its lists were getting over 2 million pageviews every day.

Exactly. I know of no better word phrase to describe the traffic your script can bring than Mind-Boggling.

I know I've used that word to describe ATS's traffic potential to literally HUNDREDS of USA webmasters...

You have to realize that a MAJORITY of webmasters just cannot believe those numbers unless they can SEE them for themselves. And, if the ATS script already now compiles all of this data in admin, why NOT add a way to show these to the masses for them to analyze too?

The simple data subset you've added for the Beta/RC1 right now just doesn't compare to the TWENTY fields of data that your script already compiles for Admin.

PLEASE consider taking what your fans have started on their own and take it to the next level (making it validate) like all of the other pages will in v5.20!

I clicked that link you posted recently and saw how much time you've put it making this MAJOR release be the best it can be. You've done a superb job on it!

But, a Total Stats PAGE can be a crowning achievement that truly demonstrates just how powerful it is for ALL to see! If you did, we could all compare full sets of statistical numbers from 1 list to another and not have to wonder about any "missing numbers".

If you do add this full feature in, I have agreed to make a donation and campaign for others to follow my lead to do the same. Not only that, I will go find where I can nominate you as PHP Programmer of The Year for 2007 (if there is such an ongoing honor) and try to help you earn more recognition in trade press.

You probably don't recall this, but when I realized as a Staff moderator in the Topsitelists.com forum that TSL would never regain the leadership position, I actually called your house to give you a pep talk.

You weren't home at time, but I talked to your mom and said you were Da' Man and should be our leader! LOL I'm not sure if you got that message.

At that time, I never DREAMED that ATS could become as amazingly good as it already is now. Other than a Total Stats Page, there's not much I see left to do!

Sure there are various other requests you've got, but the CORE will pretty much be DONE! Why NOT add in THE feature that shows off to ALL what ATS can do?

Often, when you have worked really hard at something, it's that last extra 5-10% that makes the difference!

That's what I believe making an Official Total Stats Page will do for v5.20. Naturally, I will say GO FOR IT!

For my donation, I'll also be glad to help distribute a press release campaign. You deserve Kudos in Press!

I bet that would impress your Mom more than some guy calling her by phone and saying you're Da' Man. :lol:
Gamecock
Advanced Member

Postby Jeremy » 2007-05-20 01:42 pm

the total stats page might be in 5.2.0... if not, it will be in a version soon after
Jeremy
Supreme Diety

Initial e-mail to new members is blank

Postby jaysteele » 2007-05-20 02:47 pm

I just uploaded the 5.2.0 beta version (NOT RC1). The admin e-mail that is getting sent to notify me that a new member has signed up is blank and has no subject. My member settings has the "Require new members to be approved before being listed" set to "On".

Jay
jaysteele

Postby Gamecock » 2007-05-20 04:27 pm

Jeremy Scheff wrote:the total stats page might be in 5.2.0... if not, it will be in a version soon after

EXCELLENT News!
Gamecock
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to News